Volleyball is the most popular sports in the world today and is played by more than 700 million people on the earth. Volleyball is the game played by two teams on a rectangular shape court in which a net is setup between the ground . It is the game of two teams in which the aim of the players is to keep a large ball in the air, from side to side over a high net, by hitting it with the hands before it touches the ground.
It was invented in 1895 by William G.Morgan Volleyball is a team sport in which two teams of six players each are separated by a net. Volleyball is a difficult game of easy skills. Each team tries to gain points by grounding a ball on the other team’s court under the game rules.
Players in Volleyball team
- Volleyball team has 6 players playing in the court
- Players can change the side after each ‘side out’
- There are three players in the front row and other three players are in the back row
- There is a player called ‘LIBERO’ Libero is a player wearing a different colour jersey, libero is a defensive player who enters in the game without regular substitution
Rules of the game
- It is played by 2 teams on a court divided by a net between them
- The main aim of the game is to send the ball over the net towards the opposing team so that the opponent cannot send the ball back or cannot prevent it from touching the ground in their court
- Each team has 3 hits to make attempt to return the ball back to the hitting team
- Same player cannot touch the ball twice in a row
- Back row players cannot hit the ball in front row, if they want to hit the ball they have to perform the jump behind the attack line
- Players are not allowed to hold or catch the ball
- A player may not go under the net during the game
- Players can touch the net only while blocking the opponent’s shot.
- Players cannot touch the opponent player or ball by going over the net.
- At international level, a referee can declare an illegal shot to prevent players from carrying, double-hitting or spinning balls
HOW TO SCORE A POINT IN THE GAME
- A team can only score a point when it serves the ball.
- A Team can score point if their opposing team can return the ball back in the court within three shots.
- A Team can score points when one team cannot succeed in putting the ball in the other team’s court within three shots.
- When serving team wins the point, the team continues to serve the ball
- When a serving team loses a point, the other team begins to serve the ball
- Players can use any part of their body to hit the ball towards the opponent
- World top volleyball players of all the time
There are some top players of volleyball of all the time, but it is complex to compare players from different eras.
- Giba ( brazilian player )
- Hugo conte ( argentina player)
- Jimmy george ( first indian player to become professional )
- Karchkiraly ( indoor & outdoor player from USA )
- Katsutoshinekoda ( Japan FIVB-player of the century )
- Flo hyman ( USA )
- Paula Weishoff ( played for USA in olympics )
- Misty may treanor ( beach player from USA )